With the popularity growing in Christian Hip-Hop, names like Lecrae, Da Truth, Ambassador, just to name, quickly come to mind. But like its secular counterpart, Holy Hip Hop has many emcees that put in work and seemingly still go unnoticed. While it is growing, a lot are still skeptical and reluctant to receive HHH as a true genre much like hip-hop and rap music was in the early 1980’s.
The internet has provided a way for anyone who wants to be a rapper to do so and saturate the web. While it gives relatively unknown artists a chance to reach the world from the comfort of their home, it makes it hard to find the really good artists. You often have to suffle through so many sub-par artists to find a great one. It doesn’t always seem to be worth the effort.
While still under the radar, these are all names, I feel you should know about even if you aren’t into HHH. They can all hang with any secular rap artists that are in rotation on your commercial radio stations.
This list is not whose the best, the most popular or making the most noise. These are 10 artists still under the mainstream radar that I believe can hang with the commercially known chart topping artists out now. Trust me since there are quite a few more who are holding it down there will most likely be a part two to this. Feel free to leave your comments and shout out the names you think should also be on this list!
1. Willie Will – This New Jersey born, Seattle, Washington, transplant is one of the most lyrical emcees you have never heard of. www.myspace.com/williewill
2. Sean Slaughter – When I was still skeptical and reluctant to embrace HHH, Sean Slaughter was the first artist I felt, lyrically speaking. www.seanslaughter.net/
4. MouthPi3ce – If he was on Def Jam, he’d be a platinum-plus artist. www.myspace.com/mouthpi3ce
5. J.A.Z. (Justified And Zealous) – Much like his name, his lyrics speak for themselves. www.justifiedandzealous.com/
6. Jaelife – Born and raised in the streets of Compton, California, Jealife is the real deal. www.YNJEntertainment.com
7. HeeSun Lee – Far from just another pretty face, the Korea born, Staten Island, New York raised femcee (female emcee) can flow with the fellas, and give them a run for their money. www.myspace.com/heesunlee
8. Buck Barnabas – His name is derived from a childhood nickname (Buck) and the biblical missionary (Barnabas). He is very lyrical emcee, who loves the Lord and makes no apologies for it. www.BuckBarnabas.com
9. FRO – Representing Da Dirty South, FRO is a gifted wordsmith with an incredible flow. www.myspace.com/fro_muzik
10. CeeJ (pronounced Seige) – Last but by no means least, this Spartanburg, S.C. native is a lyrical beast. You may not know the name now but trust me this will not be the last time yoo hear it! www.GameOverMusic.com
Please feel free to click on the links and go to the artists’ sites, facebook and myspace pages check them out. If you like what you hear, leave them a message, let them know you are feeling them. Tell them you heard about them on Spiritual Minded Magazine. Many have free downloads but some have music for sale, again if you feel them, support them!
Source: Spiritual Minded Radio http://www.spiritualminded.podcastpeople.com (all these artists can be heard regularly on Spiritual Minded Radio)